Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Journey Begins


My eyes filled with tears as I sat in the darkened theater. It wasn't that I didn't know where the story would lead, as I have seen The Color Purple in the film version three times, but that one particular line struck me with guilt over my selfishness.

The main character, Celie, had suffered tremendous abuses and cruelties at the hands of her stepfather. She had been beaten and sexually molested by her stepfather; and following the birth of two children had each of them, in turn, removed from her possession by this same man.

As her friend, Shug, spoke to Celie about God, Celie angrily replied, "What does God know about me, he's a man!"

I loved the response that Shug, made. "God aint a man, he's God".

I remembered back to a time about ten years ago when I had similar thoughts as Celie did about God. How could Jesus understand my trials and temptations? He was born a man. This was also at a time when the differences between men and women were proclaimed throughout the media. Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus as well as many church sermon series presented from the pulpit regarding these differences. How could a woman connect totally with Jesus, a man?

Ten years ago, I began a journey with God that has resolved these differences. I now enjoy a close and intimate relationship with him. As God revealed his attributes as well as the commonalities that God shares with women, my love for him grew exponentially as the years went by. God has laid on my heart that I should share with others what he has shown me through the years. I must not let my fears get in the way of an opportunity to help someone else.
I hope and pray that my experience will be encouraging to other women who desire a close connection to the Creator of the universe. Thus, the journey begins.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. I really liked your comment on my blog about loving yourself so that you can love others. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Do not put out the Spirit's fire, do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. I Thess. 5:19-21